Tuesday, 23 August 2011

In the trenches



Yesterday I got a call from HR to come to their offices for a chat. I don’t know if it’s just me but whenever someone needs to talk to me, I start sweating and thinking of all the possible bad things that might have happened…have they found out about the hip flask i’ve been bringing in or that i’ve started sticking post-it notes on people’s backs. Maybe they know about how I violently shake the vending machine every hour to see if something will fall out.

All manner of thoughts were running through my mind and when I got into the meeting I was ready to chew my fingers off in trepidation. What I got told instead was that:

“The company are having a reshuffle and we have to let you go.”

Like taking an axe through my face.

In all honesty, I was just glad that they weren’t firing me and that (and this sounds bad) I wasn’t the only one that they didn’t feel that they needed anymore.What got me was the bull of:

“Remember, it’s not your fault.”

I know it’s not my fault. I didn’t retrench myself.

So now I’m at that awkward stage of having to go out there and flash my bits around (NB: bits meaning “my mind’) and try and get someone to look at me and want me.

I’m strangely positive about it though. I’m wearing my “I’ll kick you in the groin if you mess with me” boots, I’ve got on my best winning smile and I’ve got God to back me up.

Sometimes life throws you a curve ball. Pick it up. Throw it back at life and yell “I’m a woman, balls don’t frighten me!”

3 comments:

  1. I love your attitude. Everything happens for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hon! I'm so sorry. I have to tell you that being retrenched was one of the best thing that ever happened to me. Afterward I sat down with pen and paper and wrote down what my dream job would look like. I described everything from the office space to my colleagues to the kind of clients I wanted. And you know what? God listened and gave it to me. And I've been most content ever since. Throw that curveball back, we're all cheering you on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great attitude. All the best with the job hunting, I'm rooting for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete