Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Saying no to love...

Last night was like something out of a perfectly orchestrated nightmare. We had family over. Mr H wanted a pudding. I was lovingly asked to make chocolate chip cookies that were full of gluten and then had to watch as everyone else got to eat them. I think I died a little inside.
However, waking up today, I feel like Superwoman. I have the resistance of steel baby!
I'm not going to lie to you though, I did stick my nose close to the cookies and breath in very deeply hoping that that would ease the pain in my soul. *sigh* But I'm now on to my second day and the menu is as follows:

Day 2.

Breakfast & Lunch
Unfortunately it is the same breakfast and lunch (Quinoa & Lentils) because I really hate to waste. Although I have some fresh pineapple for snacking on just in case.

Dinner:
Cheesy Tex Mex Rice. Adapted from here.
2011-06-09-TexMexRice4.jpg


Makes about 8 cups or 8-10 servings
4 cups cooked and cooled rice (I'm using my leftover rice from last night)
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) cheddar cheese (I'm adding Mozzarella too)
1 green pepper, diced small
1 16-oz can diced tomatoes and their juices (I like roasted tomatoes in this recipe)
1 cup of corn
1-3 teaspoons of Paprika
1-3 teaspoons chili powder, to taste
1-3 teaspoons salt, to taste
Optional Extras: 1-2 diced Chorizo Sausages, 1 cup shredded chicken.
1) Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl, starting with one teaspoon each of the chili powder and salt (you can adjust later to taste). Stir until everything is evenly mixed, squishing the tomatoes against the side of the bowl as you go.
2) Set a cast-iron or nonstick heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice mix and spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring every five minutes. Be patient. Which is a very difficult concept for me.
3) The cheese will melt and start to form a burnt-looking crust on the bottom of the pan (This is okay, don't be tempted to think that you have ruined the dish). Every time you stir, scrape up this crust and mix it back into the rice. The whole dish will gradually pick up a deep, almost chocolate-like flavor from the seared cheese. (If you actually smell or see smoke, turn down the heat a little or scrape a little more frequently.) Taste it every so often during cooking and stir in more salt or chili powder as needed.
4) Let the rice cool a little before serving. The flavors are really at their best when the dish is slightly warmer than room temperature and it's even better the second day. The rice can be reheated in a slow cooker, a low oven (covered with aluminum foil), or in the microwave for a few minutes on HIGH. Leftovers will keep for one week which makes me very happy as I can relax in the knowledge that I don't have to make any more lunch for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment