Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Things I have learnt from being gluten-free

Pinned Image

Next week sees the end of my Gluten-free existence. I have served my time well and only now, in the last week has it gotten difficult but that is mainly because I have no more rice cakes. Over these last few weeks, I have learnt a lot about my eating habits and have found a substitute for cookies....jars and jars of Nutella. But the other things I have learnt have been slightly more profound:

1) I realised that I don't, aside from cookies, eat that much gluten or wheat although....
2) ...Lunch options have become more taxing as usually I would have some Melba toast with cucumber and cheese however, rice cake are even yummier.
3) A lot of products have wheat as a filler to bulk them up which I think is unnecessary. Maizena works just fine.
4) Mr H has been incredibly supportive and patient.
5) People really don't understand what wheat or gluten actually is. For instance, being asked if I could eat a baguette was just ridiculous. Also, they all seem to think that 'a little bit won't hurt you'. My mother is extremely allergic, she is a coeliac and if she has the tiniest bit of either gluten or wheat, she is in a total mess. Also, if I was to have any then that would completely undermine this whole experiment.
6) I haven't had people over for dinner as much because making food for them is slightly harder because....
7) ....People seem to think that gluten-free automatically means meat-free. This annoys the hell outta me and hasn't served Mr H too well.
8) Gluten-free products are damn expensive but there are a huge variety of different types of flours that you can use which is great considering that "back in the day", substitutes for gluten were almost impossible to find.

Yet the main revelation is that I've found out that my problem is actually fructose malabsorption. So instead of my body breaking fructose down, it just builds up causing the acute pain I have been having. So now, my diet has to eliminate the following:

  • Apples and Pears
  • Foods rich in fructans such as artichokes, asparagus, leeks, onions and *sigh* wheat-containing products.
  • Foods containing sorbitol or xylitol...pretty much anything ending in -tol.
  • Dried fruit (I have a packet of raisins with me right now which I shall have to say goodbye to)
  • Fortified wines....*sob*
  • Corn syrups/Honey

What I can eat are:

  • Berry fruit: blueberry, blackberry, cranberry, raspberry, strawberry, loganberry
  • Citrus fruit: kumquat, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, orange, tangelo
  • Other fruits: ripe banana, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, pineapple, rhubarb, tamarillo.

I suppose it isn't the worse thing to happen to me. My favourite fruits are still available and at least I now know what is wrong with me. And more importantly....I still have my Nutella.

No comments:

Post a Comment