Wednesday, 12 October 2011

To Be (healthy) ....or not to Be (skinny)

It may only be two days into my gluten-free diet but already I have seen how reliant I am on food. I think of food as a friend, a close personal friend, whose absence depresses me. I use food in all circumstances - when I'm bored, with friends, reading a book, watching a TV series, etc - it is a constant companion. It has the ability to instantly satisfy something within me BUT it also has a way of making me feel truly terrible about myself. 
That is a lot of pressure on food. It delights and disgusts me. Perhaps I have unearthed a rather deep and dark secret about my relationship with it.....
Last night I made my cheesy Tex Mex rice with home-made bbq sauce and it was great comfort food. However, following on from the other nights cookie torture, I made myself one gluten-free cookie which isn't even worth the washing up so you can tell how desperate I am. It tasted so good but then I felt a little guilty. Am I thinking of my gluten-free diet as a means to get thin or to fix my aching, allergic body? I think I need to dwell on this more because I started out wanting to find the source of my months of pain not to become a skinny minny. 
Anyway, day 3 begins and the menu takes a slight reshuffle. I'm looking forward to dinner.

Day 3

Breakfast:
Natural yogurt with honey and cinnamon. A rather healthy option and a good deal easier to ingest than uncooked Quinoa.

Lunch:
Left over Tex Mex rice. The flavours have had time to deepen. Scrummy.

Dinner:
Chickpea burgers with yogurt sauce and salad. Recipe from here
chickpea burgers
Serves 2
Be careful with these burgers because if you over mash the chickpeas then the burgers will fall apart....but have no fear, they still taste good.

1 can chickpeas (400g / 14oz), drained
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 egg
1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced (You can use raw pepper too or even chilli)
6 – 8 tablespoons natural yoghurt
1. Pulse chickpeas and cumin in a food processor for a few seconds or until roughly chopped. You don’t want a smooth puree here.
2. Crack egg into a small bowl and whisk lightly. Add egg and pulse again for a few seconds.
3. Fold capsicum into the chickpeas by hand so it keeps its shape. Season and using your hands, form into 2 burgers. Pop in the fridge for a few minutes.
4. Heat a small fry pan on a medium high heat. Add a little oil and cook burgers for around 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Being careful when turning so they don’t fall apart.
5. Meanwhile, stir yoghurt in a small bowl until smooth and season generously.
6. Serve burgers with yoghurt on top and salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment