Monday, 21 November 2011

The Windy City

Pinned Image

I know some of the funniest people. Period. Even after the stress of leaving my job, they still know how to give me the giggles even though many of our topics of conversation leave much to be desired.
For instance, I know a wonderful old lady who honestly should have been a comedian. She'll take any awkward moment and inject fun into it. The majority of our amusing conversations are along these lines:

Sitting down together, she leans over towards me and whispers,
Old Dear: "Have you ever had Pomegranate juice?
Me: Yes, why?
OD: Well, I had a glass today and I dare not cough let alone breathe for fear of something escaping me.

She looked so sincere that I couldn't stop laughing. On another occasion,

Me: I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner. Hey, are you feeling alright, you're looking a little pale.
OD: "I'm sorry love, I've got to go. What I thought was just wind, has escalated into something bigger."

As vulgar as this may sound, she keeps me sane. When you get to a certain age, there are no inhibitions and no pretences. Just straight honest facts. It's a great metaphor for life. Wouldn't it be so much simpler if people were honest about their feelings and their needs? So for this week, I'm going to start being more open and honest with myself and with those around me. Sometimes it is good to be strong and tough, other times, it is good to be vulnerable.

2 comments: