Monday, 5 December 2011

What my mother taught me


Mother's are amazing. My mum in particular because she has had me as a daughter and I'm not gonna lie, I am not easy to deal with. *understatement of the year* Being as strong willed as I am, my mum has had to constantly battle with me to push me in the right direction as my stubbornness usually leads me down the wrong paths. She's stood strong and kept me sane. Now that I am married and have 'flown the nest', I can look back at all her wise wisdom and be ever so grateful for her and what she has taught me:

Stress is not the answer. My mum can sometimes be so relaxed that she appears to be traveling horizontally. I tend to get hyped up about everything. (I should have been a lawyer) What I must remember is that stressing doesn't get me anywhere it simply makes me ill.
Eat for your health. I've battled with an eating problem for years but my mum constantly reminds me that it isn't about extreme dieting but about eating to be healthy and to be the best possible you. Treats are good but in excess they cause me to break out in spots and give me a greasy complexion. All things in moderation....unless it's cookies. There is only one word for those...MORE!
I don't need alcohol to be fun. My mum hardly drinks. For my bridal shower, we first went nougat and bubbly tasting at Jc Le Roux. One taster glass and she was smiling and laughing all over the place. I love the fact that she has never been a big drinker, it's a nice environment to grow up in and you learn not to depend on drink.
Use your talents. She is pretty much my number one fan but she has never deluded me. She praised and encouraged me to follow what I am good at, not like some of those crazy Toddlers and Tiaras' mums who just want prize money at the end of the day. After school, I did A-levels (you need those in the UK to get into University) and she chose the course I should do because she knew what my strengths were and I, at that time, really had no inclination of what I wanted to do. She nudged me into Communication studies and I've never looked back.
When you fail, get back up again. She is not one to let me wallow in a pit of self-pity and loathing. She dusts me off, gives me a hug and sends me back out to conquer the world, this time, with stronger armour.
Family is always first. We're a close bunch. Impenetrable. We have dealt with some pretty rough stuff but we come on top every time. In those dark hours, what we know we can rely on is each other. Friends come and go but blood remains.
Don't settle for less. My mum has being praying since my birth that I would find the right guy and not be swept away by any losers. Okay, so there have been a few frogs along the way, maybe even a toad but never a serious relationship. Mr H is indeed the shining Prince and my mum can breathe easy knowing that there is someone out there who can tell me to shut up when I being a sulky madam. If I didn't know better, I would swear she created him in her secret laboratory.

Anyone got any Motherly wisdom?

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post. Mum's the word :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Love the "created him in her secret lab" :) Nice post! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete