Sunday, 1 January 2012

New Year

Pinned Image

I've never been one for making resolutions. Mainly because I don't like to disappoint myself if I can't keep them. My mother, in all her wisdom, told me that instead of giving things up, I should instead aim to do more and make positive commitments. So for 2012, a year in which I aim to kick some serious behind, I vow to make the following promises.

1) Shut up. So many situations could have been avoided last year if I had simply clamped a hand over my mouth and internalized my frustrations. In the heat of the moment I just blurt out words that are designed to hurt and aggravate because I'm stubborn and proud. This year, I will curb my wicked tongue...I'm not sure if that also means that I can't 'rant' anymore on my blog?
2) Listen up. With me talking less, I should be able to listen more to people and to be a more empathic human being. This will be tough as there are certain 'whingers' who honestly need a hug. Around the neck. With a rope.
3) Be more giving. I don't mean by buying presents for the entire Universe but by giving up time and energy on helping others. The buzz is like injecting Red Bull into your veins, you can't tell me that that isn't worth it.
4) Love my body. I think, because of the media, us women are constantly bombarded, from birth, with Skinny Minnies who, if they stood to the side, would be invisible. I've had a problem with my weight for years and I know I need to start treating my body better. Less binging, less guilt, more nourishment and healthy meals. I am reminded of a health article on the rules of Dieting, simply put, it said 'Don't give your diet more attention than you would your religion.'
5) Finish a book. I have been promising this to Mr H for years now but I will aim to keep slogging away. I aim to have extremely muscular fingers from all the typing.
6) Master the art of the macaroon and make my own puff pastry. I have tried the former and it was such a disaster that I almost cried. I didn't want to tell Mr H that I had just wasted 2 bags of ground almonds so I quickly hid all the evidence. I am determined to get it right though and to also make a puff pastry pie. I've done the shortcrust thing.
7) Do more wine pairing evenings. I used to hate wine. I got told that it was an adult taste and obviously, I was still a child. But when I moved over here and saw the wealth of wineries, I realised that I had to jump headfirst into the barrel. Guided by my dearest friend Wayne (Take2Tours), I have found a love for all things grape. And because I love food so much, I started to host pairing evenings. We have had about 5 of them and each one just keeps getting better and better, (look at me bragging) if you're ever in my area then you must join in.
8) Live more. It is so easy to become obsessed with how everyone else is living their life and to feel a little envious with those who have either got more or achieved more than yourself but all that comparing and languishing in your supposed inadequacies will not get you anywhere. Throwing off my jealous mantle, I shall live this year as myself, not as what is expected of me or as one who is trying to fit into the World. We're all unique and different for a reason, if Emma Watson can make 17 million in a year, faaantastic, but she doesn't make the best brownies in the world and she doesn't get to wake up next to my husband so, nah nah nah, *composes self*. I will be me. Simple.

Do any of you have any New Year resolutions for 2012?

3 comments:

  1. Happy NYE! I love your resolutions list :) But I must confess, I'd miss your blog rants - you're so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in France and the amount of macaroons I eat is a crying shame, for my waistline! haha. But they are SOOOOOOOO goood! All the best with that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Darling....hope its filled with new memories and over flowing with happy thoughts!!!
    Im loving the list and i expect a signed copy of that book.
    ps wine pairing evenings oooh la la!!...Im a total nit wit when it comes to that!!
    Light and Love till our next meet up!

    ReplyDelete