Friday, 9 March 2012

Is Pinterest bad for you?


Pinterest

I recently read this post by Ali Trachta on 'Why Pinterest makes me feel like I'm bad at being a woman'. (Read it here) I read it and then re-read it and a light bulb flashed and brain cells whizzed around and connected to make the resounding feeling of agreement. I had been wondering why over the past few months, my addiction to Pinterest had been waning and now I see why.
I started pinning recipes, foodie images that looked like something I could rustle up. Then I pinned D.I.Y projects that I wanted to get involved with and then it moved to clothing that I wanted which then led to diets that I needed to go on in order to fit said clothes....you can see where I am going with that one. Yet with every board, there is the sense of failure. I've hardly attempted half of the recipes I 'like' and 'pin' and my D.I.Y efforts are a shambles. I'm no closer to my goal weight though I do seem to be letting my inner Whale free. I am beginning to fear that there are millions of women out there who seem to be achieving all three things without breaking into a sweat.
Currently, I'm looking at a board that says 'The places I'd like to visit'. How nice for you. I'd also like to visit those but between the knitting of a woolie scarf and the 'drink nothing but lemon juice and green tea' diet I'm trying, it's going to be a little tricky.
Perhaps I have it all wrong, perhaps I'm meant to be uplifted by the images that show me that what I hope for can be possible with perseverance (and money). However, I think I should start pinning photos of the real me; a real woman at home with her slouchy pants on, cookie in one hand TV remote in the other and the dog licking her feet. But would that inspire anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment