Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Places you shouldn't buy food from (and their alternatives)


from Life Magazine

As Christmas closes in, you may be looking out for some yummy treats to fill your face with. Here's a wee guide to places you should avoid and their better alternatives.

For cakes: 

DON'T do Charly's Bakery.
I used to work at King James in Woodstock and so Charleys was the obvious choice for office cakes and treats. But without fail, every cake we received was either burnt or tongue-numbingly dry. They have become over commercialized and their standards just can't keep up which is such a shame.

INSTEAD, head to Lady Cupcake.
Based in CBD, the Red Velvet is the best I have ever had and they go out of their way to make each cupcake look beautiful. They even do a Bacon, Cinnamon & Maple Cupcake which sounds amazeballs.

For Fudge:

DON'T do Amfudge.
Based at the Somerset West Mall, they have got some of the nastiest fudges I’ve ever had the misfortune of shoving into my face. I got Death By Chocolate which was rather fitting as I did almost die. I was told it had real dark chocolate in it and by that I expect 65% and above. It was cooking chocolate.

INSTEAD, eat Chantelle’s cookies and cakes fudge.
You'll find her fudge at Willow Bridge slow market on a Saturday and it is so ridiculously creamy that you could melt. She may start banning me from her stall because I steal all the testers.

For Macarons:

DON'T do Myatt at the Waterfront.
If you are determined to eat there, take a magnifying glass with you. You'll need it to view your food. As well as some tweezers to pick it up with. When I want a macaron, I want something substantial. Myatt doesn't give you that and for the price, it's a rip-off.

INSTEAD, go to Cassis in Gardens.
Their macarons are to-die-for. Thick, rich, and oozing with Parisian charm and excellence. They also happen to be one of the cheapest in Cape Town.

For the Drinks

DON'T do Fire and Ice, Protea Hotel.
The service is so poor at their bar that you might as well bring your own drinks with you because you're not going to get served for at least 35minutes. We did complain after we went there one night for a Milkshake (those things are heavenly) and they were very good and gave us a complimentary dinner - which rocked, So I'm in two minds about them. Head to their restaurant rather than the bar.


INSTEAD, choose Knife at Century City.
I know it isn't glamorous but if you want to find the best Mojito, head there. They have a half-price offer on a Tuesday for women so your cocktail becomes something like R15. Bargain!

OR

Beluga.
They also do a half price cocktail and sushi menu which I'm rather addicted to. You may find me there, holding on to the floor,

Any places you've been to where you were disappointed or have you got some glowing reviews to share?






2 comments:

  1. Fully agree with you, especially on the macarons. Cassis in Newlands is also brilliant. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete